New Hampshire Abortion Statistics
State abortion statistics from the leading public and private sources.
Collective state abortion statistics are gathered privately by the Guttmacher Institute and federally by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Because of reporting lag, their most recent data is often 2-3 years old. In most cases, state-level abortion facts are more current than the numbers reported by Guttmacher or the CDC. Guttmacher’s abortion statistics are estimates built on surveys of all known and suspected abortion providers; the CDC totals are made up of the actual abortion counts reported to the state health department by each abortion facility.
To read abortion stories from New Hampshire, visit: Abortion Stories (New Hampshire)
New Hampshire did not provide state abortion data to the Centers for Disease Control for the last reporting period.
Estimated Total Abortions (2017): 2,210
The Guttmacher Institute estimates that approximately 2,210 abortions took place in New Hampshire during 2017. This number includes abortions performed on out-of-state residents but does not include abortions performed on New Hampshire residents in other states. The table below compares New Hampshire abortion totals by selected year.
Estimated Abortion Percentage (2017): 15.4%
In 2017, an estimated 15.4% of pregnancies in New Hampshire ended in abortion. This number does not take into account miscarriages. It was arrived at by dividing Guttmacher's abortion estimate by the sum total of live births (12,116)—as reported by the CDC—and estimated abortions.
Estimated Abortion Rate* (2017): 9.2
The Guttmacher Institute estimates that the 2017 abortion rate for New Hampshire was 9.2. The 2017 abortion rate across the entire United States was 13.5. The table below compares New Hampshire abortion rates by selected year.
*The abortion rate is the number of abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44 years.
Percentage of All U.S. Abortions (2017): 0.3%
In 2017, approximately 0.3% of all U.S. abortions occurred in New Hampshire.
Facilities That Perform Abortions (2017): 4
In 2017, the Guttmacher Institute reports that there were 4 abortion providers in New Hampshire. The table below compares total New Hampshire abortion facilities by selected year.
State Abortion Restrictions (2019):
- The parent of a minor must be notified before an abortion can take place.
- Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.
- State Abortion Statistics: Comparative state abortion stats by rank, total, percentage, and clinics.
- U.S. Abortion Statistics: Facts and figures relating to the frequency of abortion in the United States.
- U.S. Abortion Law: An overview of the history and legality of abortion in the United States.
- U.S. Abortion History: The 200-year history of abortion in America goes back well before 1973.
For Further Study:
- The Remarkably High Cost of Cheap Sex (Abort73 Blog)
- Does Poverty Lead to Abortion, or Does Abortion Lead to Poverty? (Abort73 Blog)
- The Law Can’t Make Abortion Safe; Birth Control Can’t Make Abortion Rare (Abort73 Blog)
- It’s All the Same: Why Early and Late-Term Abortion are Moral Equivalents (Abort73 Blog)
- The Moral Dilemma of Repeat Abortion (Abort73 Blog)
- Who is Most at Risk to Have an Abortion? (Abort73 Blog)
- Marriage, Contraception, and Unplanned Pregnancy (Abort73 Blog)