Louisiana Abortion Statistics
State abortion statistics from the leading public and private sources.
Collective state abortion statistics are gathered privately by the Guttmacher Institute and federally by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Because of reporting lag, their most recent data is often 2-3 years old. In most cases, state-level abortion facts are more current than the numbers reported by Guttmacher or the CDC. Guttmacher’s abortion statistics are estimates built on surveys of all known and suspected abortion providers; the CDC totals are made up of the actual abortion counts reported to the state health department by each abortion facility.
To read abortion stories from Louisiana, visit: Abortion Stories (Louisiana)
Total Abortions (2018): 8,097
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that 8,097 abortions took place in Louisiana during 2018. This number includes abortions performed on out-of-state residents but does not include abortions performed on Louisiana residents in other states. The table below compares Louisiana abortion totals by year.
Abortion Percentage (2018): 12.0%
In 2018, 12.0% of pregnancies in Louisiana ended in abortion. This number does not take into account miscarriages. It was arrived at by dividing the state abortion ratio by the sum of the abortion ratio plus 1,000. The abortion ratio is the number of abortions that occurred per 1,000 lives births. The table below compares Louisiana abortion percentages by year.
Out-of-State Abortion Percentage (2018): 16.2%
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that 16.2% of the abortions that took place in Louisiana were performed on out-of-state residents.
*U.S. averages are limited to reporting districts.
Estimated Total Abortions (2017): 9,920
The Guttmacher Institute estimates that approximately 9,920 abortions took place in Louisiana during 2017. This number includes abortions performed on out-of-state residents but does not include abortions performed on Louisiana residents in other states. The table below compares Louisiana abortion totals by selected year.
Estimated Abortion Percentage (2017): 14.0%
In 2017, an estimated 14.0% of pregnancies in Louisiana ended in abortion. This number does not take into account miscarriages. It was arrived at by dividing Guttmacher's abortion estimate by the sum total of live births (61,018)—as reported by the CDC—and estimated abortions.
Estimated Abortion Rate* (2017): 10.6
The Guttmacher Institute estimates that the 2017 abortion rate for Louisiana was 10.6. The 2017 abortion rate across the entire United States was 13.5. The table below compares Louisiana abortion rates by selected year.
*The abortion rate is the number of abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44 years.
Percentage of All U.S. Abortions (2017): 1.2%
In 2017, approximately 1.2% of all U.S. abortions occurred in Louisiana.
Facilities That Perform Abortions (2014): 5
In 2017, the Guttmacher Institute reports that there were 4 abortion providers in Louisiana. The table below compares total Louisiana abortion facilities by selected year.
State Abortion Restrictions (2019):
- Abortion would be banned if Roe v. Wade were to be overturned.
- A woman must receive state-directed counseling about abortion and then wait 24 hours before the abortion takes place.
- Health plans offered in the state’s health exchange cannot cover abortion.
- The use of telemedicine for the performance of medication abortion is prohibited.
- The parent of a minor must consent before an abortion can take place.
- Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.
- A woman must undergo an ultrasound at least 24 hours before obtaining an abortion and must be shown the image and have it described to her.
- An abortion cannot be performed at or after 20 weeks postfertilization (22 weeks after the woman’s last menstrual period) unless the woman’s life is endangered or her physical health is severely compromised.
- Abortion clinics must meet the same structural standards as other ambulatory surgical centers.
- State Abortion Statistics: Comparative state abortion stats by rank, total, percentage, and clinics.
- U.S. Abortion Statistics: Facts and figures relating to the frequency of abortion in the United States.
- U.S. Abortion Law: An overview of the history and legality of abortion in the United States.
- U.S. Abortion History: The 200-year history of abortion in America goes back well before 1973.
For Further Study:
- The Remarkably High Cost of Cheap Sex (Abort73 Blog)
- Does Poverty Lead to Abortion, or Does Abortion Lead to Poverty? (Abort73 Blog)
- The Law Can’t Make Abortion Safe; Birth Control Can’t Make Abortion Rare (Abort73 Blog)
- It’s All the Same: Why Early and Late-Term Abortion are Moral Equivalents (Abort73 Blog)
- The Moral Dilemma of Repeat Abortion (Abort73 Blog)
- Who is Most at Risk to Have an Abortion? (Abort73 Blog)
- Marriage, Contraception, and Unplanned Pregnancy (Abort73 Blog)