The Bible vs. Abortion: Comparing Two Worldviews
Feb 20, 2009 / By: Jeffrey Jones
Category: Christian Living
I’m always attempting to demonstrate how theworldview of the Bible is completely at odds with the worldview of those whosupport abortion. Below I have contrasted 3 major differences between the twoworldviews.
- The Bible teaches that pregnancy is a good thing andchildren are a blessing (Gen 1:26-28; 9:1-7; Ps 127:3-5).
- Abortion treats pregnancy often as a bad thing andchildren as a burden.
- The Bible teaches that God himself nurtures and sustainslife in the womb (Ps 139:13-16).
- Abortion disrupts and destroys life in the womb.
- The Bible teaches that we are to love and care for everyperson, especially the needy and helpless (Deut 15:7-11; Prov 14:31; Luke10:25-37; Jas 1:27).
- Abortion fails to love and care for the most needy andhelpless members of the human community, the unborn.
Even though the Bible never mentions the practice of abortion, those wanting to shape their lives around the Bible should find the practice both unthinkable and deplorable. The vision presented by the Bible for pregnancy, prenatal development, childbearing, care for the needy, etc. is radically different than any view of the world that finds abortion acceptable.