We’re halfway through the month of December. Have you given any thought to making a year-end donation to Abort73? Our goal is an impossible one: $20,000. There’s no feasible way for an organization our size to get there, but that’s about what we need to get back to even for the year. Since launching our GIVE (like you mean it) campaign on Giving Tuesday, we’ve received eight donations for a total of $2,131. That leaves us almost 90% short of our goal.
There are a few reasons for that.
- I lack fundraising skills.
- We don't do direct mailings.
- The generation that does the most charitable giving (ages 49-67) represents only 15% of Abort73’s "fan" base. And almost 60% of our base belongs to the age group (18-32) that gives the least to charity.
- Abort73 is a web-based ministry that offers non-tangible services. It’s hard to convince people that these services must still be paid for.
- Abort73 is saddled to one of the most politically incorrect causes in America. Nobody has ever criticized me for sponsoring born children who are threatened by poverty, but I am regularly reviled for trying to aid unborn children who are threatened by abortion.
Those are some the reasons why people don’t give. Here are the reasons why I hope you will give:
- Abortion is one-of-a-kind problem. There are lots of worthy ministries you could donate to and lots of causes that could use more funding. But ask yourself this, does any other issue approach the massive scale and stakes of abortion? Close to one million innocent and helpless human beings have already been killed by abortion this year—and that’s just in the United States. What other social justice issues have a bottom line that even approaches that?
- Abortion is being uniquely neglected. For most Christians, almost all of their charitable giving goes to the local church. It then falls on the local church to disperse those collective funds. For most churches, 95% of that money never gets beyond their own walls. That’s a problem for abortion-vulnerable children. If you only give money to your church, because you think your church is investing in the defense of abortion-vulnerable children, you should know something. They probably aren’t.
- Abort73 offers a one-of-a-kind-approach. The abortion business feeds on ignorance and despair. Abort73 combats that with knowledge and hope—by providing the most comprehensive, engaging, and accessible abortion education in the world. There truly is nothing else like it. Despite a shoestring staff and budget, there have already been 1,023,202 visits to Abort73.com this year. That’s a pretty strong return on investment!
- You are one of the few people who can help! The Abort73 blog is not widely read. Our blog pages receive less than 2% of our total site traffic. That means, if you are reading these lines, you are in the smallest of minorities. You are one of the only people in the world who has this opportunity to respond! Will you?
Perhaps you want to give, but are flat broke. We could still use your assistance! If you’re unable to donate, how about signing up as a fundraiser? Chances are you know people I don’t. Would you mind introducing them to Abort73? There are a slew of online tools to help you raise money on Abort73’s behalf. You can fundraise as an individual or as a team—and we’ll be giving out free shirts to the fundraisers who bring in the most. Simply look for the “Become a Fundraiser” button to get started.
Whatever you do, the important thing is to not do nothing!
Michael Spielman is the founder and director of Abort73.com. His book, Love the Least (A Lot), is available as a free download. Abort73 is part of Loxafamosity Ministries, a 501c3, Christian education corporation. If you have been helped by the information available at Abort73.com, please consider making a donation.