Nebraska Abortion Facts
State abortion statistics from the leading public and private sources.
Collective state abortion statistics are gathered privately by The Alan Guttmacher Institute (AGI) and federally by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Because of reporting lag, their most recent data is generally 2-3 years old. In most cases, state-level abortion facts are more current than the numbers reported by AGI or the CDC.
To read abortion stories from Nebraska, visit: Abortion Stories (Nebraska)
Total Abortions (2015): 2,004
The Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services reports that 2,004 abortions took place in Nebraska during 2015.
Total Abortions (2014): 2,270
The Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services reports that 2,270 abortions took place in Nebraska during 2014.
Total Abortions (2013): 2,177
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that 2,177 abortions took place in Nebraska during 2013. The table below compares Nebraska abortion totals by year.
Abortion Percentage (2013): 7.7%
In 2013, 7.7% of pregnancies in Nebraska ended in abortion. This number does not take into account miscarriages. It was arrived at by dividing the state abortion ratio by the sum of the abortion ratio plus 1,000. The abortion ratio is the number of abortions that occurred per 1,000 lives births. The table below compares Nebraska abortion percentages by year.
Out-of-State Abortion Percentage (2013): 8.5%
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that 8.5% of the abortions that took place in Nebraska were performed on out-of-state residents.
*U.S. averages are limited to reporting districts.
Total Abortions (2011): 2,570
The Alan Guttmacher Institute (AGI) reports that 2,570 abortions took place in Nebraska during 2011. In 2008, there were 2,840 abortions reported—compared with 3,220 in 2005.
Total Abortions Rank (2011): #41
Out of the 50 states (+ Washington DC) that AGI lists data for, Nebraska's 2011 abortion total places it at number 41 on the list (#1 on the list is the state or district with the most abortions and #51 is the state or district with the fewest).
Abortion Rate* (2011): 7.2
The Alan Guttmacher Institute (AGI) reports that the 2011 abortion rate for Nebraska was 7.2. In 2008, the abortion rate in Nebraska was 8.1. It was 8.9 in 2005 and 11.6 in 2000. The 2011 abortion rate across the entire United States was 16.9.
*The abortion rate is the number of abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44 years.
Abortion Rate Rank (2011): #41
Out of the 50 states (+ Washington DC) that AGI lists data for, Nebraska's 2011 abortion rate places it at number 41 on the list (#1 on the list is the state or district with the highest abortion rate and #51 is the state or district with the lowest).
Percentage of Pregnancies Ending in Abortion (2011): 8%
In 2011, 33,700 women in Nebraska became pregnant. 76% of these pregnancies resulted in live births and 8% in induced abortions. The remaining pregnancies ended in miscarriage.
Total Abortion Facilities (2011): 5
In 2011, the Alan Guttmacher Institute reports that there were 5 abortion providers in Nebraska. There were 5 providers in 2008, 6 providers in 2005, and 5 providers in 2000.
State Abortion Restrictions (2016):
- A woman must receive state-directed counseling about abortion and then wait 24 hours before the abortion takes place.
- Public and private health insurance can only cover abortion in cases of life endangerment—unless an optional rider is purchased.
- Health plans offered in the state’s health exchange can only cover abortion in cases of life endangerment.
- The use of telemedicine for the performance of medication abortion is prohibited.
- The parent of a minor must consent before an abortion can take place.
- Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.
- An abortion cannot be performed at or after 20 weeks postfertilization (22 weeks after the woman’s last menstrual period) unless the woman’s life is endangered or her physical health is severely compromised.